Sunday, September 18, 2016

HOT,HOT,HOT ! - Meta Strauss


Cindy Rayburn, adjusted her glasses and fanned herself as she looked at the thermometer mounted outside her back door. “Oh Lord. It’s 90 degrees under the porch and it’s only 6 am. Today’s going be a real scorcher. ‘think it’s going to be too hot for the apartment complex’s party tonight?”

Laura Baumgartner, her roommate, leaned around the corner, already dressed for the day in her nurse’s uniform, the one with the multicolored balloon print. “Our group never says no to a party.”

Grabbing a box of cereal from the pantry Cindy said, “I hope you’re right. Jimmy’s supposed to bring a couple of friends with him. Single men! I always wanna meet single men.”

“Why? They’ll probably be duds like the last guys Jimmy introduced us to. ” She rolled her eyes and pulled her blond hair into a ponytail at the top of her head, stray curls framing her face and neck.

“Well, hope springs eternal, especially when it comes to finding Mr. Right.” Cindy scarfed down her breakfast while she stood at the kitchen counter. “I haven’t dated anyone steady for fourteen months. One week… and three days. But who’s counting? And on top of it all, today I have a huge project to complete for Mr. Bossy Davis.”

“You think you have problems? I’m hoping that UPS guy doesn’t come in today and talk and talk, taking up my time. He’s becoming a nuisance.”

“That’s not a problem, Laura. That’s an opportunity.” 

Laura frowned, “Not a UPS guy! I’m too busy for that. Mothers will be bringing in little kids with sunburns because they let them play outside all day yesterday in this heat. Dr. Patton will be booked solid and I’ll be racing to keep the office in order. I probably won’t feel like socializing tonight.”

“Well, Miss Party Pooper, it’s Friday and I want to have a fun week-end, no matter how hot it is. I say we drink iced coffee all day instead of our usual hot brew and by party time we’ll be ready to go, go, go!” Cindy fanned herself with a magazine.

“There’s lots more to do than party all the time, Cin. Why do you always think you have to have a love interest?” Laura tucked her lunch pack under her arm and scrambled out the door not waiting for an answer. Most days she looked forward to the five-block walk to her office, but today it was so humid she could almost swim. “It’s not that I don’t want to date,” Laura spoke to herself as she walked along. “But, I want a special man. Someone kind, smart, intelligent, ambitious… and, good looking wouldn’t hurt.”

“What did you say?” 

Laura was shocked to hear a voice. She hadn’t realized there was anyone else around. She turned to find the UPS deliveryman beside her. He was pushing a cart filled with boxes.

He chatted as he struggled to keep up with her. “It is a scorcher for sure. Supposed to get over 100 today. That’s why I got an early start. Don’t let these brown shorts fool you. They’re made out of some kind of synthetic fiber and are hot as blazes. UPS wasn’t thinking about this kind of weather when they chose them.”

Laura frowned at the man who kept talking like a TV game show host, never stopping to breathe. “I’ve been your UPS rep for the past 4 months.” 

“I thought I recognized you, brown uniform with UPS written across the pocket and all,” she said with sarcasm. “Thanks for the good service.” She walked away leaving him standing outside her office door.

“My name is Don,” he said to her back. “I’ll see you later?” He watched as the perky, curly headed blond with the big blue eyes rushed away. From the first time he saw her in the pediatric clinic he was interested, but, flirting with customers was frowned on by UPS.

Laura didn’t even turn around. “He’s friendly but I don’t want to get into a conversation with a UPS delivery guy, even if he is gorgeous. I have to stick to my plan for finding the right man. Educated. Ambitious.”

The day was a record breaker, reaching 105º in the afternoon. By the time Cindy and Laura got home from work all they wanted to do was take cold showers.

“You still think the party will happen?” Laura rested on the couch with a rotating fan blowing across her prone body. “I really don’t want to go.”

“You have to go. I talked with Jimmy and he says to bring our suits for a swim. And, he’ll have cold beer. By the way, he says one of the new guys told him he knows you. He thinks you’re hot, hot, hot.” Cindy chuckled.

“Who is that? Why would anyone say I’m ‘hot, hot, hot’?” 

“I sure don’t know, but he says the guy is a real catch. Graduated from Harvard Business School with him. Now he’s working his way through some executive training plan before he becomes a regional manager. Supposed to be a great guy.”

“I can’t imagine who that would be since I don’t know anyone like that. If I did I’d be dating him.” Laura rolled her eyes and tried to think of anyone she knew from her college days that fit the description.

By 9:00 the sun had disappeared and the temp was back down to the mid 80’s. Cindy lead as the two young women made their way through the small crowd that gathered at the complex’s party room.

“Oh, no, Cindy, it’s the stalker. The UPS guy that keeps hitting on me at work. Don’t turn too fast, but he’s the one talking to Jimmy.” Laura moved behind a palm tree beside the pool.

“I see him. Wow. He’s great looking. If you’re not interested, why don’t you introduce me? I’d like him to bother me.” Cindy smiled and waved to Jimmy. “Here they come and don’t you be hateful to that dreamboat.”

“He does look rather movie-starish without those brown shorts.” Laura smiled in spite of herself, as the two men approached.

“Hi there. It’s great to see you.” Don spoke to Laura. “Isn’t it an amazing coincidence we both know Jimmy? He and I were roommates in school.”

Laura just stared, speechless, as she realized this was “the” friend, “the” former roommate. Cindy stepped closer giving Jimmy a quick peck on the cheek. “Hi there. Thanks for throwing the cooling off party. And, Don, Laura mentioned you know her from work.”
                                                 *****
 When the girls returned home late that night they had a long talk. “So, Laura, your UPS guy, the stalker, is Jimmy’s friend and you two looked like you were getting along very well. Jimmy told me he asked you out.”

“Don’s such a nice person and very smart. Just think, I almost lost the chance to date him because I was a snob. What a day it’s been! Big lesson learned! Hot, hot, hot weather. Hot, hot, hotter guy!”
                                                                ***

No comments:

Post a Comment