Thursday, September 15, 2016

Global Warming - John Field

               Global Warming

Everything as unreal as real can be.
Wallace Stevens

Last night in the comfort of my sleep
I had that dream again:
It’s cool and bright outside

Like the stage-set for a Technicolor movie
About the love affair I’m having
With the morning.

After breakfast
I’ve got the future in my pocket
As I stroll past hills decked out in daffodils

Which delight my eyes
Each time they flash
Their little trumpet smiles at me.

Now comes the hard part of my dream:
Suddenly and for no good reason at all
A heat wave turns my macadam road

Into a river of asphalt and tar
I’m wading in up to my knees,
So I seek shelter beneath a tree,

Knowing a chair will be there,
Stiff-backed to keep my spine upright
While I listen to the wind

Heave through every dying thing
On earth----after which the landscape’s
Not worth looking at,

Just the piecemeal junk
Of crumbling smokestacks
Belching lethal fumes in the air

Which transform the sky
Into a black hole
Only a death mask could survive.

Reminds me
Big things really matter
Because time is running out.      

            --------------

There are those whom only the dead
Can afford to forgive
Because they believe trees

Belong in museums instead of parks,
Animals in zoos.
Ecology is not one of their physical sciences.

Others exist solely for their self-completion
At drink-time: Hello, just fine, ta ta
And so forth onward to the very end.

Insist the bottom line
Is all that counts----easy math
Because only fools play by the rules of the game.

Condemn environmentalists to death
And leave it up to nature
To carry out their execution.

The rest of us shrug off the odds
And carry on----sign petitions,
Watch children at their play

And pray that when the final bill arrives
Its obscene total
Will be discretely folded over.      

              *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment