Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Way We Are Now - Lucille Hamilton

Stars,
when I look up,
I realize, 
are still the same ones of my childhood,
dragging along their stories
of human morality
while rotating endlessly overhead.

One summer in New York City,
I stood jammed in the heat of a sweltering,
rush- hour stalled subway train,
while astronauts, 
risking their lives in their special, expensive suits,
were engaged in making humans' first-known landing
on the moon.  I was so glad when that first person did
his little jig dance - a fitting expression 
for such an amazing accomplishment of faith.

When I finally got home to our house on the cliffs,
I went out in the cooling dark
to salute and honor those persons who had made
this hard-to-grasp,
unfathomable change
in all our beliefs, our stories, our existence;
the stars
now being much nearer than ever before.

In the eyes of the Creator,
this shift is about time, among so many things,
and it 
is so very beautiful;
a glove of challenge tossed down 
to all of us
human beings,
seeking out other places we may
someday want or need to
inhabit,
if we continue on the way of living 
as we do now.

                     ***

No comments:

Post a Comment