Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Dark of the Night -Robyn Makaruk

Here they are
Phantoms of the night
Seeping into me like a wet fog
Before I make it to that
Blissful, dreamless state


Here they are,
Those phantoms of the night 
Messing with my mind,
Parrying and thrusting swords into 
Benign daytime issues, churning them into
Rancid butter.

Here they are,
Those phantoms of the night
They’re making inner conflicts rise up in the bile tract
To surge into full-blown reflux of self absorption,
Causing distrust of my inner vision.

They are still here, dammit,
Those phantoms of the night, 
Ratcheting up the rancor, 
Causing a heart rate to climb, teeth to grind
And bedclothes to twist into a hangman’s  
Noose around my neck.

Then, by a miracle,
Those phantoms of the night
Do not win the fight.
I float into that interstitial space
That closes the door on the battleground
And opens to a pastoral scene.

They are no longer here, 
Those phantoms of the night
I can leave this bed of thorns and return 
To that Ocean of Livingness
Where once again
I’ll be in tune with the Universe

                                                             ***

No comments:

Post a Comment