Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Courtroom of a Fool - Robyn Makaruk

I’m the Royal Court Jester, a slave to humor
The Monarch's entertainer
Delivering riddles and rhymes with no substance
Offered in pantomime by this indentured clown.
A licensed Fool, clown to society. 
I am summoned to appear and perform,
to prance and dance and serve up antics and jokes
for the pleasure of the one who owns me.
Hidden truths as riddles is all that I speak
For payment returned in applause and false respect.
The smile tattooed on my face
Hides a heart that carries an empty bag
But when I twirl and whirl and dance to distraction
The endorphins rise up rendering moments of sanity. 
In these moments of joy 
This courthouse is my stage
And all the forbidden liaisons shared in whispers 
behind fluttering fans
By the audience of painted puppets
do not diminish the mastery of my performance, 
for I am the Monarch of the Moment
But when the day is over and I go to my cell
my antics lie dormant and I return to my lot
That of a slave to greed and sinister jocularity.
The face in the mirror stares at the stranger
Reminding me of my unique station in life.
                           ***

No comments:

Post a Comment