Saturday, December 5, 2015

Labyrinth  Robyn Makaruk


I’ve named my brain Labyrinth.
It doesn’t contain a minotaur or other monster
And hasn’t needed a tune-up, yet
Although sometimes it feels like it.
But it is a real maze, 
With lots of pathways
And sensors blinking on and off
Toggles, if you will,
And neurons, firing with purpose
Reminding me to do this or that 
When and if I go astray.
Most of the time it keeps me out of harm’s way, 
But when I stray off the right path
It will set up a pounding hammer
That lets me know, ‘no, no, no!
You’ve made the wrong turn.  Go back!’ 


I like my brain 
And I’m going to take very good care of it.
Feed it three healthy meals a day
And make sure it gets enough sleep
Although its nighttime activities
Are different from mine.
It goes off on space travels
Careening around the Cosmos
Checking out all the Stardust  
Making sure there will be room for us 
To join all that went before, 

But only in due time.
                   ***

No comments:

Post a Comment