Monday, April 13, 2015

Harboring A Secret - Joan Shepherd



Margaret told me a secret
And added, “Don’t tell anyone” 

A secret burns inside me
In my stomach and in my brain
A neon sign flashes the tale
While I do the dishes
Or shopping for peanut butter
“Don’t tell anyone”, but…
Those are words I don’t want to hear
Because usually, that’s the first thing
I want to do. Surely Marie should know
And she would keep it with her
While I would not.
I do not want to tell anyone
And if it was so mundane
It isn’t worth repeating or even remembering. 

I wish she hadn’t told me
And added “Don’t tell anyone..”

I once knew a mother  
Who told her troublesome first grade son
before he left for school
“Don’t throw rocks at people
Don’t take that rope to school
to tie kids to the flagpole
Don’t ignore it when the teacher says:
To drink their juice nicely and
not spit it on the floor.” 
Of course, those are the very things
The kid did, like a good soldier
Following instructions. 

OK, I’ve heard the secret and kept it within me
For three and a half days. Haven’t told a soul. 
Even if I wanted to, because Lucy really should know.
I wish my friend had never told me her secret
And said, ”Don’t tell anybody!”
I haven’t. 
But…

I  probably will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment