Monday, December 26, 2016

Juxtaposition - Joan Brady


My newspaper shields me as I sit alone, silent among others 
together, close around marble tables, their coffee cold with talk.

I read that, in Los Angeles, an elderly bear was found soaking 
in a suburb hot tub. A photo shows him passive, sitting sedated 
in a cage, while officials seek a zoo. He can’t survive on his 
own anymore. His teeth are broken from foraging in garbage cans.

The window holds us close in comfortable identity, 
a fragile, clear division taped thick with notices of possibility,  
echoing all our unarticulated dreams of transformation.

Beyond, into traffic four lanes deep, a deer leaps, 
propelled from the cliff above
by her own infinite motion, 
born of gravity and the wind, legs buckling, as she 
hits concrete, feet sliding under her, 
and I tense myself against the inevitable 
hard-soft sound of metal hitting flesh, 
as I watch her plunging through and past,
until she vanishes up into the hill across, 
still thick with oak and blackberries.

A waitress, all in black, 
with red curls tied at the nape of her neck, lights candles
in the deepening dusk. Her silver bracelet, 
circling a dragon tattooed on her upper arm, 
reflects their warming flames, 
while outside, cars transform themselves into 
patterns of moving lights, detached from substance, 
but never direction.

No point in hurrying. Already the dexterous, 
long-clawed raccoon, intent on filling his belly, 
will have crawled through my kitchen window. 
If I arrive before he finishes, 
he must be pushed, snarling, out with a broom. 
When, at last, our own species faces 
it’s own approaching extinction, 
I feel assured he will do nothing to save us.

                               ***

No comments:

Post a Comment