Monday, November 14, 2016

Going Home - Beverly Koepplin


I wonder where my grandmother’s heart went
when it went home.
Surely not back to the mother country
where, as an orphaned girl,
she trundled carts of soldiers’ 
bodies through the streets.
Surely not back to the farm 
in the North Dakota countryside
where she spent her days
spinning in the dust,
like a lost whirling dervish, 
never finding her way,
blown like the thistles 
across the brown flat lands.
I don’t know that this 
kind, gentle heart ever found a home.

I wonder where my mother’s heart went
When it went home.
Surely not back to that farm 
where she worked from dawn to dusk
minding her father and her brothers 
and the livestock, ever toiling,
doing her homework by the light 
of the kerosene lamp
and hoping that the words she read 
would somehow carry her away,
a magic carpet ride to a world 
where there was sometimes surcease.
I suspect her heart went back to Montana
because, like me, she never found 
a true home in California.

I wonder where my heart will go
when it goes home.
I know it will not be North Dakota 
for I, too, was lost there.
I know it will not be the San Joaquin Valley, 
where I never found my way, either.
Both are flat lands that run to the 
edges of the earth and leave me nowhere to hide.
It might be San Francisco 
as somewhere in the fog by the sea, I found myself.
It could be this valley where the mountains 
guard the precious vines and me.
But I know that my heart 
will go back to Montana, too,
and my mother and I will sit by the shores 
of Lake Como and listen to peace.
                        ***

No comments:

Post a Comment