Saturday, July 2, 2016

Triplets - Ellie Portner


REFLECTION
I grow older
In a small round mirror
That sits beside my bathroom sink
It counts the etches on my face
Reflects on sagging skin

And finds every fault
It tells me things I wish
I no longer cared to know

But once in a while
Beneath the reflection
I see a scarred brown sea turtle
Swimming contentedly
Through summer sea grasses
That bend with passing currents
                 ***
Sunflowers
When my breasts
Have fallen to my waist
And my clothes creep
Into folds of flesh
I will sit in the sun’s warmth
My hands at rest on my lap
I will watch insects flit
Between sunflowers
Full and bent
And listen to the earth
Whisper beneath their stems
              ***

THE MUSE
she is fickle
she does not meet commitments
nor give assurances
time for her has no boundaries

sometimes
she withdraws
and I am afraid
she will not return

I tempt her back
with whispered promises
I do not keep

I do not trust her
the one who shares my solitude
who comes to me
to fill the empty places

               ***

No comments:

Post a Comment