Sunday, January 24, 2016

So Far From Montana - Beverly Koepplin

How did I get this far from Montana?

In my heart, I drive straight roads
that go on forever through sweet spring air
and under wide open skies with no frames.
In my life, I drive broken-up streets
that go one block at a time through bloated gray air
and under skies with man-made horizons.

In my life, I work hard through days
defined by paper and metal mechanical noise
and metered out by hours I count till end.
In my heart, I sit on a porch and watch
the leaves glow then burst and fall,
and I have no need to count at all.

In my heart, I spend this time of summer
by a cool river that flows under cottonwood trees
and wonder only how a fishing line can arc just so.
In my life, I know that it is summer time.
but that means only that through the long evenings
I will walk this earth here and pretend it is Montana.


How did I get so far from Montana?

June 1999
                                    ***

No comments:

Post a Comment