Tuesday, September 1, 2015

   WHITE CATARACT, BLACK CHAMPAGNE
                                             by  John Field         2015


Last night fear came at me
Through an open window
When a rogue cloud
With theatrical ambitions
Out of a science fiction novel
Anchored itself in front of the moon,
Turning the sky
Into a vast inverted glass
Of black champagne,
Each star a stationary bubble.

Quick and intangible as a wink 
The lawn chairs on our patio 
Undid themselves
Like objects in a fever dream 
Remembered but no longer seen, 
And beyond the place
Where our garden used to be
I could just make out
The clean-picked bones
Of a patch of bamboo.

Eventually the rogue cloud
Had someplace better to go 
And the moon cried, 
“Look at me! Look at me! 
Here I am again,
A shiver of light from another era, 
Back again, your heart’s keeper.” 
What I child I was,
Just another false alarm,
But so much of that cataract 
Had settled in my head 
That before I went to bed
I drank a shot of vodka
And took a sleeping pill.


     ***


No comments:

Post a Comment