Thursday, August 20, 2015

       WHY I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY
                      by John Field      2015

Because I grew tired of playing it cool 
In San Francisco’s cold gray fog 
Noisy trolley cars clanking up
And down steep hills yammering
Fire trucks waking me up
The whole dense essence cadence 
Rhythm and crazy flow
Of motion and commotion
City folks call real life

Here I’m closer to the man
I never knew
I might have been back then 
Mornings easing me into them 
With sun-befriended strolls
At 80 years per hour
Past vineyards and olive trees 
So Tuscany
It’s as if I’m dreaming them 
In all their moods and reasons 
Why my wife’s out there 
With the chickadees
And humming birds
Wooing home-grown 
Heirloom tomatoes
Out of the earth in time
For dinner jazz and red wine

Then evenings simple 
As a cradle song’s 
Perpetual melody
We listen to so gently 
It opens us up
To closed thoughts
We share with our hearts 
Turning round and round
But slower now
Like wheels worn down
By the whims and habitations 
Of old age remarkable


           ***

No comments:

Post a Comment