Saturday, March 14, 2015

Exceptional Durability - Meta Strauss


Don't misunderstand, I was glad to get the couch. It was part of the bargain when Fred and I bought the old Williams place at the edge of town. We’d never had a home of our own, had always rented, so I had no right to complain or cast judgment on any part of the deal, the couch included. I put on my best smile and hugged Fred real big when he handed me the key to the front door.

The key alone was a funny thing. It had probably been used only a couple of times since the place was built. No one in Fair Valley locked doors. I walked in and looked at the place with new eyes. Oh, I’d been inside before to visit Mrs. Williams, to take her dinner when it was my turn. I never paid attention to the details, couldn’t have told you what color the walls were if you’d given me a prize for doing so.

Having said that, when I saw the sad, dirt color that covered everything I just about cried. When I looked real close I saw it was not just a dirt color, it was actual dirt that covered everything from ceilings to floors, from front to back.
Hey darlin’? What do you think now that you’re a home owner?” Fred was practically dancing around he was so proud.

It’s going to be great.” I said. “I couldn’t be happier if we’d bought a castle over in France.”

I know it needs some work but that will happen in time.” Fred started unloading our truck. “Where do you want me to put these?”

Put the clothes on the quilt I spread and everything else right here in the main room. Don’t set anything on the couch until I do some cleanin’.”

It only took a couple of hours to situate our furniture, which consisted of our bed, a chest, and a table with four chairs. I stared at the couch figuring it was left because it was so ugly, yet knowin’ I should be grateful to have something in the living room besides a bunch of boxes.

It took me a couple of weeks, but by then I had the place lookin’ pretty good. My hands were raw and every bone in my body ached, but Fred and I, we had a home.

As for the couch, I took it outdoors into the sun and beat it ’til I couldn’t raise another fleck of dust.

That was five years ago and we still have that darned thing sitting as the main piece in our parlor. I made a slip cover for it and found two almost-matching chairs at the Good Will store. Like I tell myself, we are lucky people to have found a home and a couch of such exceptional durability.

No comments:

Post a Comment