Thursday, January 8, 2015

Elvis– John Field–Dave Lewis
*****************************************************************

August 16th, 1977. Big sky country.                                          
Heading west on Interstate 80. Halfway through my life.          
Ahead of me clouds dyed red by the setting sun.                       
Then orange, pink, yellow, green and finally gray. 
Perhaps an omen. Way off in the distance the Rockies 
And not much else around except a whole lot of breathing room.
Behind me the amnesia of all those sad little towns 
I’d just passed through. Outside of Rawlins 
I switched on the radio and had its static in my ears
When a disc jockey announced that Elvis was dead.
Discovered unresponsive on his bathroom floor
And died an hour later. They’ll take his body away,
I figured, and open it up because this had to be an inside job. 
Then the DJ played “Heartbreak Hotel” and that was that 
Until dusk came down like a tent collapsing 
After the last show is over and the circus moves on 
To the next Podunk town with lots of sawdust but not much glitter.

For a while I wondered what “Love Me Tender”
Would sound like in the underworld just below this one
Or wherever he’d gone. Then I remembered 
A couple of songs he sang on The Ed Sullivan Show
The night death touched his music so little
That all of us college kids knew he’d live forever.
That was years before he turned his body 
Into a nail and started pounding it into the ground
With pills instead of a hammer
Stumbling and mumbling around on the stage 
Like a bloated Liberace imitator, 
Spending and spending himself for his fans
As if there was no such thing as a reckoning.

After thinking about that for a while I needed company  
And fast because what a fever it was making do 
With a few scraggly shrubs kneeling down in the wind 
And a scattering of Burma Shave signs. Minutes, days,
Maybe an hour later I pulled into the first all-night truck stop I came to, 
Esso, Texaco, can’t remember which 
With lots of semis dozing in a parking lot the size of a football field.
Inside the café under a haze of cigarette smoke
Guys drinking coffee, eating pie and listening to Elvis  
Singing “Jailhouse Rock.” It was nice they let him out of the jukebox 
And good to be sharing a world with kind-hearted folks like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text in BOLD print is one of Elvis' song titles – 48 of 500

Who’s that  at this time of night?

Hard Knocks  too!

Do Not Disturb !

Where Do You Come From ? she asked


Do You Know Who I Am ? he replied;  it’s Johnny B. Goode

Don't Ask Me Why  I am here. 

It’s  Just Because

A Boy Like Me, A  Girl Like You 

Can’t be at the  End of the Road

Help Me Make It Through the Night 

I am  Doin' the Best I Can   on   Such a Night

Can’t  we Talk about the Good  Times ?

Or is it  The Impossible  Dream ?

If you say  You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' ?

Where Do I Go from Here? 

She replied:
Go East Young Man

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face 

I thought,  You're the Devil in Disguise 

But  Now and Then  There's A Fool Such as I 

And I was  All Shook Up  and Almost in Love   -  Almost 

With a  Brown Eyed Handsome Man  

But   By and By 

You wanted to be the  Big Boss Man

And all my hopes went  Blowin' in the Wind

I Got Stung ,      Big Love,        Big Heartache 

You left me in the  Early Morning Rain

And  with my Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain

You said,  I'm Not the Marrying Kind 

So this is The Last Farewell

It is  Almost Always True  that a  Change of Habit  

Is at the Edge of Reality

Your Cheatin' Heart  will always be  Steppin' Out of Line

Summertime Has Passed and Gone 

Startin' Tonight , Stay Away , It's Over

Slowly But Surely You’ll be soon be  Shoppin' Around  for  Girls! Girls! Girls!  with Golden Coins

Saying,  Love Me Tonight.
**********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment