Thursday, April 24, 2014

Passenger  Michael James



Two views from a car window showing the advantages of being a passenger

PERSPECTIVE 

A belt of ragged, grey cloud floats along the mountain's flank 
separated from the low ceiling above. 
It catches in trees which appear to tear at it and slow its drift. 
But I know from seeing them once up close, 
That the trees aren't moving. 
They stand, like eternal truths,
as clouds flow round them.

TRIUMPH
Drawn up to the light at a hectic intersection,
l, passenger, hear the buzz just before I see  
a bright yellow gas tank slide into place next to me, 
Close, between the lanes of cars.

Perched snugly on the saddle, 
Right up to the sloping hump where 
tank meets leather, 
pink and white tights
cover the bold buns, the audacious curves 
of an olympic gymnast. 
The youthful arch of her back 
Allows her an aggressive racing stance
so that her eyes rest level 
with the top of the small windshield.

The rider turns to face me 
As I express my admiration. 
"Bounding buns on a bike," 
I murmur through the open window. 
The whites of her eyes, wide with amusement, 
shine out of the helmet that covers her swarthy face, 
and she smiles towards me then drops her left foot 
on the gear shift lever and revs through the intersection.

Michael's Bio (and his bike) may be viewed by clicking WRITER'S BIOGRAPHIES  at the side panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment