Sunday, January 5, 2014

Help Wanted


Sometimes the only poet around
Is a dog barking at the moon. 
It's eleven p.m., time to dismantle the silence 
And dash off a stanza or two 
For my Friday morning’s writers' group 
But each time I beg my little red schoolhouse 
For a rhyme 
It erases the blackboard and slams the door.

Soaked in midnight's pitch an hour later 
The inside of my head is sticky black 
As I contemplate white canes 
And seeing-eye dogs,
Miners' canaries, rusty scalpels, 
Shooting galleries, gutted limousines 
And fighting cocks, but all I've got 
Is a sheet of notebook paper squeaky clean 
Except for all of those empty blue lines 
Which remind me of prison bars 
And the birdlike shadow of my bony knuckles 
Perched on a ballpoint pen.

Whenever I play games with myself 
It's always my move 
So I spend the next half-hour 
Chasing ghosts around the room. 
Prefer the Japanese technique of catching them 
With chopsticks instead of nets
But hate their high-pitched squeal 
Each time I pluck one out of the air. 
When I finally go to bed I feel like a dead man 
In a silent movie who is having a difficult time 
Learning his lines. Then fall asleep 
And dream l've turned into a falcon 
Tethered to the devil's wrist. 
Wake up and wonder 
What I'll do when Lucifer removes my little hood. 
Bring down butterflies or baby birds?

Never go to bed before dawn, 
I tell myself as I pop a pill 
Because there are so many crutches 
But never an artificial leg to stand on 
At the end of a dead-end morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment