Monday, January 6, 2014

Dancing
                             
                                                            by  LUCILLE HAMILTON


I didn't know what to do with them, 
my legs -
they were the longest part of me
when I was in my teens.

Looking back, 
I thought of myself as
having the awkwardness of a camel getting up,
trying to unfold all that boney length
neatly and quickly
so no one would notice my ungainly movements.
I couldn't get away with it in dancing class.
No boy wanted to dance with me,
so I was always "stuck" with the short, fat boy,
equally unhappy being there and stuck with me.
Neither of us had any sense of rhythm,
and he would pump his - and consequently, my -
arm up and down 
with all the vigor of a windmill in a high wind.
A circle of wariness would rapidly form around us.

But I must say, he always had salted peanuts in his pocket,
so we always ate well, and I learned a lot about goobers
so there would be something of interest to talk about.

I underestimated Sammy.  He was a standby, Something
I had yet to value.  He was a good sport, what with my stepping
on his always polished shoes.  I came to really like him, as time
went by and now I wonder if he, like me, has come to terms
with that kind of dancing, 
being more in favor these days of spontaneously lighting out 
across the dance floor,
as the mood sees fit.

2014



No comments:

Post a Comment