Monday, June 12, 2017

Ode to the Bumble Bee - Robyn Makaruk


Hurry humble bumblebee to harvest your fill 
From the flowers outside my window
Carry nectar back to your Queen
Reward for this hard work will be 
The survival of your species
That you are the slower sort 
Doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing
You go about your business   
Humming a cool, mellow bass.
For every one of your foraging trips 
You deliver seventy-five percent 
Of your body weight in precious cargo
That’s what I call marvelous!
You are a gentle one.
I know, for I’ve offered my hand to 
Many of your kin, fallen into a back yard pool
Gratitude shown by dry wings flying back
To the important work you do.
Now, heed this warning.
Just today your species has been removed 
From the Endangered List by the
New powers in government
Future protections may not be there for you
All I can offer is encouragement 
To never stop or change 
What you do so perfectly.
Spread the word my darling.
               ***


No comments:

Post a Comment