Monday, March 6, 2017

Guilt Trip - John Field


You can keep your cornfields, silos,                                           
Autographed bibles and gooseberry jam.                                    
Bye-bye frozen road kill and frost-bitten toes.                          
I wanted cocktails named after movie stars,
Surfboards and sun-cured girls far too young for me  
Trailing wakes of dangerous possibilities.       
Time to git it in my soul.
Finally! My Hollywood-nurtured fantasies
Were ready to take off  
Like a flock of migratory birds heading west 
Because everywhere else wasn’t there anymore.

“Let’s break to the basics,“ my mother declared
As she blocked the front door.
“You’ll never learn a single thing in California
They’ll ever pay you for.”

To which I replied:
“Adios Dad and the collection of serious junk 
You bought to have and look swell 
On your shelves, 
A jumble of expensive tools, gears and pulleys, 
Chains and bags of shiny stainless steel nails
You’ve only used once and that as a last resort. 
It’s 1955, for goodness sake! 
When are you going to unpack 
The black market sugar, 
Coffee and canned sardines 
Mom stashed in the attic during World War II?”

Vaguely aware of the fact 
That my heart had a crack in it 
Which made it easy to empty 
But impossible to fill,
I jingled my car keys,
Hopped behind the wheel
Of the brand new Chevy Bel Air  
My father bought for me 
And headed for LA
Without a good thought in my head,
Halfway there before I started the engine. 
                                     ***

No comments:

Post a Comment