Wednesday, June 10, 2015

SUNDAY
by Joan Shepherd

Sunday comes with a wish for an adventure
Let the yard and house chores be
Let’s get in the car and go explore
A different beach or town or a road 
That goes somewhere I don’t know
Find someplace serving hot biscuits
With sausage and eggs
Those choices are at home
And I am a good cook.
Maybe that’s why I need a change
Taste someone else’s cooking
Learn something new
It’s Sunday! Let’s go explore

He has to go to the city in the afternoon
But that’s OK; we’ll work it in
He has some ideas, places to go
How about Nick’s Cove. it’s always good
But we’ve been there several times, 
Yes, but just getting there is an adventure
Huge over-fertilized rocks
In fields with contented cows
And groups of poppies 
Sniff the air by eucalyptus trees 
Damp with morning fog
The climax of the drive is the ocean 
Maybe calm or maybe angry with crashing waves
Washing your eyes, the better to see

I know a place you’ve never been
The Pelican Inn, perfect! Drive along the ocean
Then through the windy road off Stinson Beach
And we’re almost to San Francisco.

And then again, 
What about that place you love by the Presidio
You know, onion soup or clam chowder. 
That’s Liverpool Lil’s, actually your favorite 
I’ll be hungry and want more than soup

But I’m getting into the spirit
Remember that place on Van Ness…
What’s it called?... Tommy’s Joint!
I haven’t been there in…
I count the decades on my fingers. 
Forty years!  
You could do your business after. 

By now, we are actually on the road
Which seems to be heading straight to SF 
Not the ocean and Nicks Cove
Nor cows in fields with big rocks and flowers

“I have to meet this guy when he awakes 
From working nights, sometime after 12

The car is parked on Ashberry, just off Haight
Old Hippie stomping grounds
Parked by a wooden fence, Wait
Without even trying, 
Feel a smile on my face
And feel the effects of someone else’s marijuana 
Two women giggle behind the fence
Their exhales drift in the car window 
To give me a little high.
I look about me –  tourists looking for hippies
Natives on the street are dressed 
For comfort and damp air
I would look strange if I got out of the car
Shoes without socks, shivering without a coat
A tourist, they would think, who doesn’t realize 
The chill of the bay even with the sun shining. 
He returns, business over, an exchange of money 
And a used huge printer in the back of the car. 
Again! 

So where are we going? 
We near one of the places
And debate if it is open
But we have passed it without a decision.
The car is driving itself, merging lanes
Up and down steep hills and suddenly
We are on the bridge. 
I venture a suggestion from my empty stomach
Tiburon?  We move along.
San Rafael? Pass exits too quickly
Remember that drive to Nicosia?
I always want to go back there. 
Too late; we are passing the dredging 
At the empty boat docks 
When we turn into Lakeville,
 I know where we are going. 
The Greek Place, Papas Tavern
Now has new ownership
No big surprise seeing the empty parking lot 
Not only closed, it looks like it never opened.  
The place is deserted.

We stop at a beer joint on the corner 
Lakeville Highway and Stagecoach Gulch,
Across the field with sheep and jumping lambs
And across Lakeville, the barn 
That has finally collapsed.
Traffic whizzes by on Lakeville 
While others wait on Stagecoach Gulch 
For their chance to turn without getting hit
Galvanized tubs filled with plants waving with breeze 
Accompanying bursts of laughter from the bar.
They don’t even sell a potato chip
Let alone a hamburger with fries


We’ve got lots of food at home.
Let’s buy some cold dark beer and fix dinner. 


Well, it was a Sunday adventure, of sorts.

                            ***

No comments:

Post a Comment