Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Senior Moments - John Field

I was always a master                                                        
At forgetting my faults,                                                     
But where was my mind                                                    
When the kettle boiled dry?
And why is my neighbor’s last name
A ship in a bottle I can’t get out?
I’m growing old,
Each night dumber by another day,
My memory fading, a sight for closed eyes,
Missing in action almost as often
As lost luggage at a baggage roundabout.

Using my legs as a walker
Until they won’t anymore, picture me
Shuffling up and down hallways
Looking for the room where the answers
To whatever happens next are kept, 
And when I finally arrive there
Asking myself what was the word
I was searching for 
When I passed through that door
A moment ago? Has it shattered 
As if fallen from a great height
Or like a dog without a master
Taken off down an unlighted thoroughfare
In the middle of the night?

When I find it as I surely will before I die
Filed away in my information somewhere
Like a blade of grass in an acre of lawn
A whole Sunday of church bells will ring.

Until then let mornings, afternoons 
And evenings come and go as they please
Like broken fountains 
Denying parched mouths,
This way the dust, that way the smoke,
My thoughts as blank 
As the back of a photograph 
While I wait patiently for my piper to arrive 
With his magic pen and inscribe
The fugitive word on the tip of my tongue.
Believe me, at my age it’s not the present 
But the thought that counts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment