Friday, October 17, 2014

Afterglow - John Field

Such a glorious afternoon: 
Leaves shining brighter than the artificial lights 
On Broadway's highest marquees, 
The kind of theatrical foliage that makes little boys 
Leap high to shame the earth its stationary ways. 
Overhead a single sailboat gliding slowly across the skies. 
Look up there! A flock of migrating geese 
Honking their wild way home. 
In my garden huge chrysanthemums 
And roses still in bloom but overblown, 
Their petals wearing so much outrageous makeup 
They remind me of the painted cheeks
Of antique ladies playing bridge and sipping tea.

Once I searched for slow beauty 
To save me from the quick quick years I'd wasted 
And found it decorating the walls of the Prado 
And the Louvre-before I raced off to Portofino, 
Santorini and all the other grand places 
Recommended in the travel books. 
Now I'm growing old, have been for years and cranky too 
Each time my body recites its latest list of grievances. 
"Traveler, turn back!" the sky cries out to me
Whenever Sinatra sings come fly with me. 
Cramped seats? Jet lag? Fat chance. No thanks. 
I'd rather stay at home anchored to my shadow 
Treading water in the here and now. 
Wake up in my own bed and watch 
The blue arch of morning rise above the hills 
And lavish its beauty on our valley 
In the unfailing chronology of changing seasons 
For a few more years if I'm lucky 
Until life informs me I've had my share 
And am no longer needed here. But not yet. 
Not until my mind turns into a guide
Which has at heart my getting lost 
In that vast and lonely emptiness which separates 
The real world from what is not. 
Heaving a sigh, my soul will say goodbye 
And take its one-way trip to kingdom come, 
That secret, strange and peaceful place 
They never mention in the travel books
Where nothing ever ends, begins, changes or becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment