Tuesday, September 16, 2014

$5 POEMS
by Joan Shepherd  2014
Five dollars is a lot of money
if you find it on the street
Free money to buy anything
And you needn’t feel guilty
Because you found it
Fair and square
Of course, you could save it
In the piggy bank on the shelf
Your mother would advise that
Then it would be gone, lost to the pig
Like somebody else did, lost on the street
And you are glad 
Because nobody knows you found it
And I will buy
A double chocolate ice cream cone
and maybe another tomorrow

NO $5 BREAD
I like the garlic bread at Lucky store.
Not the kind that’s split lengthwise
that’s saturated with butter and powdered garlic,
put in a kind of aluminum foil sack.
No, the kind I like has the whole cloves of garlic
baked right in the bread.
When you slice it, you may get part of a clove,
a whole clove, or maybe just the hole where the garlic was.
Even so, the bread has a great garlic taste
that is so good, especially if you toast it.
No butter is necessary, nor jam or peanut butter.
Just eat slowly and enjoy.
Unfortunately, the bread costs four dollars
and is worth it. 
But that is my limit. I refuse, absolutely refuse
to pay five dollars for a loaf of bread.
That’s ridiculous.

FIVE SILVER DOLLARS
 Would you rather have a five dollar bill 
 or five shiny silver dollars?
 In your pocket, it would make a difference
as each silver dollar was spent
you could feel the weight lessen.
A paper bill, the same size and weight
as a twenty or even one hundred dollar bill,
you wouldn’t even feel the difference. 
I would tend to save the silver
where I’d have no hesitation spending the paper 
It’s kind of a stupid dilemma anyway.
Five dollars is five dollars, in dimes or quarters
     Or perish the thought, pennies. 

$5 LOST
Five dollars is a lot of money
when you discover it is gone
without even spending it.
Must have happened when I checked out
and put it in my pocket.
I guess not deep enough ‘cause it fell out.
I had plans for that money.
I could have spent it on myself for a toy,
Bought a kite to share with a friend,
get a little plant for my mother,
or a couple of hot dogs for lunch.
But not enough for a coke, too.
Now, it is gone.
Mom won’t know I was thinking of her.
My friend won’t know what I had in mind.
The hot dog man at the corner won’t know
How much I wanted his hot dog,
In fact, two of them.
Damn! I’m disappointed.
Five fucking dollars fell from my pocket.
Damn!
Five dollars is a lot of money.
Damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment