Saturday, July 5, 2014

Poem John Field

Sometimes nothing new for months 
Because life straight up is more than enough. 
Being instead of becoming is what I ask. 
Let all be simple, all be still except of course
Our neighbor's cock when the first gray smudge 
Of dawn appears at the end of night's black tunnel. 
Then the awe and splendor of a sunrise so spectacular 
It makes me feel like this old world 
Has been rehearsing my life for millions of years 
And finally got it right.

Always on the verge of a supreme insight 
Into why the plain as everyday seems extraordinary 
I'll get carried away watching hummingbirds 
Hovering above their feeders turn themselves into 
Crystal pendants dangling from a chandelier,

Or eavesdrop on the conversations of forgotten gods 
Each time the wind blows their voices in my direction, 
Phenomena so odd I'll try to forget them 
Because no one will believe me,
But it won't work and will continue on and on 
I suppose 
Until the white-coats come and get me.

Oh divine lassitude! A nap in a hammock under a cloud 
Of shady leaves on an afternoon when none of the mosquitoes 
Are vicious–instead of the annoying havoc 
Of doing something practical like mowing our lawn 
Beneath a blazing sun which takes sadistic pleasure 
In baking my body until it turns into a burnt offering.

Promptly at five o’clock I'll listen to my thoughts 
Sing a happy-little-come-what-may-song 
While I sip a glass of wine-until the evening news 
Blunders its tragedies against my ears,
A reminder that eternity is as ancient as the stars 
And every dead man's keeper, 
A certainty which provokes in me 
An overwhelming desire to grip my ballpoint pen 
The way a child holds onto his favorite toy
And then splice a thunderstorm's terrible roar 
Into the soundtrack of my next poem.


  Listen! Here comes another one now 
  Ticking like a tiny mechanism inside my brain. 
  Will it detonate exclamation marks
  Like rockets on the Fourth of July 
  And twist my senses round 
  Or turn out to be another dud 
  Absorbed by the sponge of silence?



No comments:

Post a Comment