Monday, June 9, 2014

Some Have It John Field

When I was a child I was beguiled 
By the nimble way 
Older kids' double-jointed fingers 
Danced up and down piano keys
Like circus acrobats doing flips. 
They made playing the piano look easy, 
Like turning on a tap 
And then waiting for the music to gush out.

Not so. When I began taking lessons 
I was a pride-shy restless little fraud 
Who hardly ever practiced, 
My tiny paws bamboozled
By their inability to coax a melody 
Out of our upright piano 
Even though they knew 
How to shuffle cards
With absurd dexterity.

My imitation of a dedicated student 
Never fooled my teacher. 
She sensed I felt 
A strong commitment
To being anywhere 
But where I was. 
Stiff as porcupine quills 
My fingers spoke in tongues 
As they jaywalked
Up and down the scales. 
Worse still, 
Instead of illuminating the sky 
With moonlight sonatas
They cast a lunar eclipse 
Over Claire De Lune.

Once a week for years 
My teacher cheered me on 
Through gritted-teeth, 
Guessing perhaps that my thoughts 
Were preoccupied 
With knock-knock jokes 
And how absolutely giddy I felt 
When my lessons were finally over.

No comments:

Post a Comment