Thursday, May 8, 2014

Natural Order John Field


When I was fifteen my faith unraveled to its core
for some reason I no longer remember.
That was the year I stopped begging
the earth's absentee landlord for an afterlife
and began paying close attention
to the natural order of things,
such as the graceful sight of pheasants in flight
before I blasted them out of the sky.


In July our valley turned into a landscape
of sudden vanishings when a flood
stampeded livestock and uprooted trees
down the Upper Iowa River.
On Main Street I watched men wearing hip boots
and dead smiles loot grocery stores
and then disappear in motor boats.
In our backyard the prehistoric stink 
of rotting debris
outranked the fragrance of honeysuckle.

Deep in a daze that afternoon
and far beyond what I knew
I hiked the high-strung bluffs that circle our town
until I reached the sacred peak of Pulpit Rock
and then looked down into the angry heart
of a violent river. No answers there. Nothing. Never.
Just swamps where meadows used to be
and the kind of truth that's reserved for its victims.

So I looked up and watched a hawk
pause at the tip of its arc
and hang suspended in the air
as if welded there. Seconds later it broke free
from heaven's gravity
and slurred earthward in a liberating blur.
Then swooped up again so close to me
that I could see the tip of a tail
hanging out of its beak.
During that indelible moment
everything changed from anarchy
into an ethical life not forever
but long enough for me to forgive myself
and the next day sell my shotgun to a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment